Sunday, October 21, 2007

Getting there was fine, but not half the fun


We left the apartment, and started walking to the bank so we could get some cash. I started complaining about a rock in my shoe, then when I looked, it was not a rock, it was a hole. We decided to keep going, and maybe look for a shoe store if it got too uncomfortable. The train was EMPTY, Saturday before 10 am is the time to ride the subway. We transfered to the 7 to get to Grand Central Station, then found a shoe store. I bought some shoes, while Justin bought the train tickets. Boy, was I glad I bought some shoes!

The train was very nice, and we had a whole row to our family. Reuben loved looking out the window. Its a beautiful ride along the Hudson. It took about 40 minutes and we were to Tarrytown. We walked off of the train and saw a row of Taxis. I tried to get someone who knew where I wanted to go (Washington Irving's Sunnyside), the websites made it sound like the Taxi drivers would know how to get there, and maybe one of them did, but I couldn't find him. So we got in a car with a guy who seemed like he might be able to find it, he didn't. And then it cost a lot of money because it was a TOWN CAR! I should have noticed the black outside, and leather seats. So, we had him take us to "the only tourist place here" which was fine, because it was on our list.
Lessons Learned
  • Check your shoes for holes before you leave for a day trip that will be mostly walking.
  • Don't get in a car with someone who doesn't know where you want to go.
  • A black car with a sign on the top means twice as expensive as a yellow car with a sign on the top.
  • Justin is in charge of talking to people with accents, until the Minnesota drips out of my ears and I can understand them.

P.S. Look how Reuben's curl is coming back, I am not cutting it off this time. The last scrapbook layout I did was the May haircut (the only time Reuben has had a hair cut). I really love his long-thin-curl-at-the-end hair.

3 comments:

The Jones :) said...

Brecken...you're too funny!! Looks and sounds like you guys and an "adventurous" time!! Glad you got some new shoes though!! Reuben's hair is awfully cute...but too long for my liking!! ;) Good thing he's your kid huh!! Love you guys
-Becki :)

Tammy Lorna said...

Brecken, when I come to NYC to visit you (in 17 years or something), we should ride the subway. While we're doing it, I want you to take a photo of me, like the first one you posted of yourself. I'm sure I won't be as good at it as you, but I'd like to try my hand at pulling the 'travelling on the subway is not exciting and I'm not having fun' face :)

xo Tammy

Tammy Lorna said...

PS. What do your new shoes look like?