Monday, August 22, 2011

Dear Irene, We need our horsey back

2011_08_14 135

First, My cry for help worked. It wasn't an intentional cry for help, but I sure reads that way. I am feeling much better, even though I misread the schedule for the friday concert. It was not barbershop it was horrible cheese ball lip sinking or out of tune family variety show. There is a reason I haven't pushed for the Cook Shack in Concert tour.

We got to video chat with Justin last night. The news from the DR is that Irene is on her way and there is a threat that the flight home will be canceled. Irene is still classified as a tropical storm, but they are on hurricane watch. You may say, what is a few more days?

The truth is, I don't think our budget can handle a few more days. I never thought I subscribed to "retail therapy." Like spending money could ever make you feel better. Well, It started out little, a new cook book, and I bought it at costco for half the retail price, so it wasn't such a splurge. I spent 15 dollars at DI buying never been opened chapter books to read to Reuben. And then on Saturday, I was going to splurge on a cake stand (you know one of those neat ones that can be a cake stand or an elevated punch bowl.) I couldn't find the exact one I wanted, so I bought a microwave. And not a stupid microwave, we already had one of those. A genius microwave. One that talks to you, "Enjoy your meal."

So, the next couple of days I need to not go out so I'm not tempted to fill my void with a new toy, because then what is going to be left for my birthday present? (although I don't want appliances for my birthday, unless it is something that only I will benefit from, otherwise that should come out of the housewares budget, and not my birthday present.)

And I haven't even done go-to-school shopping for Reuben. A backpack, a lunch box (do they make lunch boxes you can run through the dishwasher?) Does half day kindergarten even need a lunch box? He probably needs another pair of pants. I'll wait for daddy to come home and go with us shopping so it's not a surprise to him when he sees the receipts.

1 comment:

Tammy Lorna said...

Hey Brecken!
Looks like you guys are having a fabulous summer :) I too have a slight problem with retail therapy (so I totall understand), but I hope you at least love the stuff you bought :)
Talk soon I hope!
xo Tammy
PS. Where's Justin? Have I told you recently that I'm jealous of his job? xoxox :)