Saturday, May 8, 2010

Motherhood

Lounging
I think motherhood is different for every mother. (Just like pregnancy and labor.) Sure, there are the over-arching themes and expectations--but motherhood is different for every mother. I think that is a good thing. I don't know anyone that is the same kind of mother as I am, not that everyone else is wrong (or I'm wrong), I just don't know anyone that has the same challenges, perspectives, or children that I have. My mom gave me a book when I had Reuben about mothering with the spirit, so far it is the best parenting book I have read. Because so-called experts don't know me or my children--but the spirit does.

We all have our horror stories (just like pregnancy and labor). We all have our proud moments. We all have our frustrations, and our joys. But to try and be like so and so, or or expect such and such to yield the same results is futile.

It's important for us to share our experiences, if only for ourselves to hear it out loud. It's important for us to try new things. It's important to learn what we can from each other. But, ultimately, it's important for us to realize that we are our own brand of mother, and that's okay as long as we are the kind of mother for our children need.

Motherhood is not without challenges, but if you remove the expectation that motherhood should be like *this* that removes one of the most maddening challenges.



4 comments:

Lark said...

Happy Mother's Day.

Anonymous said...

Great post. A nice reminder to be the mother that each individual child needs.

Morgan said...

what a great post and a great reminder! happy mother's day!

Jamie Curtis said...

well said, brecken...you such are a wonderful mother to reuben and simeon!