Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I love being a mother. I love watching my baby grow. I love those moments when I realize that he is no longer a baby, but turning into a little person. I look forward to the developmental surprises. I enjoy the singing and dancing. I live for the cuddles, and the discussions, and the story times.

But, something happened this week that will live in my memory as the moment where I knew I was doing the most fulfilling thing for me. Reuben and I were sitting at the table. He looked up at me, and he said, "I love you." Then looked back down at what he was doing. It stunned me. I've heard those words from him before, but they were always in response to my "I love you." I was so stunned that I forgot to respond, like I was a teenager, and wasn't sure I was ready to hear those words. He looked back up, and said, "Mommy?" and I said, "I love you too." And in true Reuben fashion, he responded, "Oh, thank you."

I had been feeling a little discouraged about the whole mother's day thing. None of the songs in the primary book seem to apply to me, or my vision of myself I should say. I ordered maternity cloths as my gift. I've been hinting to Reuben (okay, trying to brainwash) that I would enjoy breakfast in bed, and he should tell daddy, but I'm not expecting it to work. And, I've been pretty overwhelmed and not feeling well all week, so haven't been a good mom.

That unprovoked "I love you" made the difference. Of course I'll soak up any other attention I get, but I'm contented with what I've got.

No comments: