Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mary Poppins


May Poppins
is giving Wicked a run for its money as my favorite Broadway Musical.

First of all, we got tickets for thirty dollars. We got to sit by each other, and we could see just fine. (Granted, some of the 30 dollar tickets will have a little pole in the way, but I still think it would be worth it.)

It is not like the movie, well a little, but its not like you already know what is going to happen. It works so well on the stage! It has everything you want in a musical, great numbers, lots of dancing, and there are some pretty amazing magical tricks they do!

Ashley Brown is terrific! She is a very likable Mary Poppins, and she has a lovely voice. There wasn't a single moment where I was distracted by a sour note (from her, the old woman sitting behind us had a horrible voice.)

And, here is my favorite thing...this is a spoiler, if you are going to see it, skip this paragraph. They introduce a problem for Mrs. Banks. She feels neglected and doesn't like planning parties and doing the things she has to do to be "Mrs. Banks." She misses her old life (being an actress). Well, one of the things that Mary Poppins fixes is Mrs. Banks feelings. As things are resolving, Mr. Banks tells Mrs. Banks that she could be an actress again, and she says that she knows what she wants to be, and they decide they won't need any more nannies. Wasn't that wonderful?! It made me so happy! A Broadway play that says you can be happy paying attention to your family, and being a mother!

So, now I want to read the books to see how much of the play came from the books. And, if you come to visit us, this is the play we will suggest you go see, and I might just go with you!

The New Amsterdam Theater is gorgeous! And it is RIGHT NEXT the 42nd street station so you barely have to make your way through the times square crowd. (Which I know some people may like the crowds craziness, but its so nice to not HAVE to do it.)

2 comments:

Tammy Lorna said...

Yay! You make me want to see it so badly :) If I lived in NY I'd go broke going to see plays every week! (Although luckily, this one is cheap!)

How long is it running for?!

And yay for pro-motherhood messages. They're few and far between!

xo Tammy

charrette said...

Hard to imagine Mary Poppins without Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke...but I'll trust you on that. That is very encouraging about making the message so pro-mother. And I'm trying hard not to be jealous of you guys seeing all these great shows and enjoying the City so much. I just have to remember, we had our halcyon days too....