Sunday, May 27, 2007

If I can make it there...



The other day I was driving (to the chiropractor because I only go there or to curves) and heard Frank sing a song about New York, and I thought to myself I wish I wanted to go there. But the truth of the matter is I don't. I don't need to make a brand new start of it. I kinda like the start I have.


Then I decided I was going to watch movies about New York so I could get excited. So I went into our netflix account and added some movies. One of which is the Ric Burns documentary "New York." I figured hearing a bunch of smart people talk about the history of New York and why they love the city might give me something to look forward to. So we got episode one, and we watched it. It covered the Dutch finding and settling the harbor to the building the Erie Canal and plans for the grid system.

I learned a lot, like the Dutch just wanted to make money, thats why they settled it, they didn't care about religious freedom or political asylum. They saw that it was a great harbor and wanted to make money there. And "Knickerbocker" comes from A History of New-York from the Beginning of the World to the End of the Dutch Dynasty, by Diedrich Knickerbocker, who was actually Washington Irving. Isn't it funny that I read all kinds of Irving (sleepy hollow, rip van winkle, all kinds of essays) and I never realized he was writing about New York. So now there is one more thing we need to do when we live in New York is go to His house in Sunnyside and go to Sleepy Hollow and hope we don't get our head chopped off.

The most important thing I learned is why I have an aversion to New York City, its all in my deeply rooted ideologies and athstetic. I don't think competition brings out the best man, NYC does. I don't think money is the reason for living, NYC does. I don't think you need to be surrounded by people all the time, NYC does. I don't think man has the best plan for how a place should look, NYC does. I don't think constantly replacing the old with the new is the best way to develop culturally, NYC does. I think the most beautiful things have a natural flow, NYC is repetition, and forced form. And now that I know why I haven't dreamt of living in New York I can better prepare myself, and know what I need to seek out so that I can find enjoyment while we are there.
So the moral of the story is. If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere.






No comments: