Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Day

To begin, I think Blizzard is a funny word, and that most people who use it don't know what they are talking about. I've been in in a few snow storms that were bad enough to be considered blizzards. Three foot visibility, cold, cold, cold, wind, wind, wind, huge amounts of snow, and tall drifts. Today's has been pretty impressive. The snow is wet and heavy perfect for packing, and it sure piled up fast. I don't know if it was a "blizzard" but it was the closest to one I've seen since I moved away from Minnesota.


Instead of going straight home after my piano lesson we decided to play in the snow. We went to the park across the street from our building. It was magical, the snow was untouched, and coating the northern side of the trees and lamp posts, and piling up on the branches and benches. I had Simeon strapped to my chest so wasn't able to help Reuben. But he made a pile of snow and stuck a stick in it for a snow man, and made a snow angel. Then some 20 somethings that live in the building across the street from us came and started throwing snowballs. As we were leaving, Reuben was lamenting the fact that he didn't build a tall snowman. I explained why I couldn't help him, and suggested that he go ask the snowball fighters.

And hour and a half later there were two gigantic snowmen.

The parks really are my favorite part of New York. The sense of community is undeniable whether it's other mom sharing snacks or sand toys with your kid, or a bunch of twenty somethings helping a 4 year old build a snowman.

I don't know any of their names, but I am very glad they were at the park today because they made Reuben's winter. How many four year olds have made 10 foot snowmen? Sorry the photos aren't the best quality, the snow was really coming down, and in my attempts to protect my camera from getting wet the lens fogged up.

alt 2010_02_10 116alt 2010_02_10 134alt 2010_02_10 138

After the snowmen were completed a few of them had a gentle snowball fight with him. They were great, and even fell to the ground every time Reuben actually hit them.
alt 2010_02_10 169

12 comments:

Morgan said...

so fun! we didn't make it outside today. how fun for reuben though. i love that people are so nice and willing to let the little kids play. hopefully we'll get to go out tomorrow sometime.

Anonymous said...

The snow looks so beautiful...we haven't gotten a decent snow storm yet this winter. That's so sweet about all the people helping Reuben. It must be a New York City thing.

JoJo said...

Aww, that's so cute. Love the 10 foot snowman...

we've had some crazy snow for DC (which, happily, has meant that Robert has gotten to stay home from school, woohoo)...

http://ellament.blogspot.com

Sandy M. said...

Brecken, it looks really great! :D
Thank you for posting it - I just felt like I had a trip outside to a wonderfully neighbourhood park and played with the snow myself :) Thank you for the brief respite. The only good thing missing was a photo of you too!

Lots of love and keep having fun,
xo

Unknown said...

I loved these pictures! What a fun experience! We built a 3 foot snowman!

Tammy Lorna said...

Oh Brecken. That was one of the most precious things I've heard (and seen) in a long time. My sister's always teasing me because I love ANYTHING that makes me feel like I'm part of a larger community. Shopping at Christmas time. Moving off the road with numerous other cars to let an ambulence through. Realizing that the person in the car ahead of you is listening to the same radio station that you are. Something about those things just make me feel like I'm linked with everyone else.

Your snowman story was just beautiful - finding sudden friends (especially when you're four), helps me remember that underneath our busy lives and social/family groups, we're all brothers and sisters.

Glad he had a fabulous time!
xo Tammy

PS. Do you think there's ANY chance of a blizzard in New York at the end of April?! Would LOVE that... snow even? haha :)

Talyn said...

I'm on the verge of tears here. It could be crazy postpartum hormones, but I think it's really because it is so sweet that they did what you couldn't.

Rachel said...

That is so neat- what a great memory for Reuben to have!

Lark said...

Great Snow Men, Women and child! And the cold ones are the biggest I have ever seen.

Amber F said...

That's awesome! My kids wish we had that much snow here...

Kay Jones said...

So who says people in New York aren't friendly? I love this story, the photos, and the fact that these young people enjoyed your young son, as is obvious in the photos. Thanks for sharing this.

johnjen said...

Very fun! My kids have never seen snow. Can you send some to AZ? :-)