Friday, December 5, 2008

Rugelach

One reason I am glad we moved to New York is I found out about Rugelach. Justin brought home blueberry rugelach after a film shoot. Jamie made some delicious chocolate and orange rugelach for book club.

I am going to a cookie exchange tonight, so I decided to try my hand at making this lovely pastries. I used Ina Garten's recipe, and modified the filling to fit what I had in the house. They are delicious, if I do say so myself, and I do. They are deceptively light, with a tart citrus toasted nut zing.




8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2-pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 9 tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins (I did chopped dried appricots)
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped (I used macadamia nuts)
1/2 cup apricot preserves, pureed in a food processor (I used my homemade cranberry sauce)
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash

Cream the cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the salt, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and mix until just combined. Dump the dough out onto a well-floured board and roll it into a ball. Cut the ball in quarters, wrap each piece in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

To make the filling, combine 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the raisins, and walnuts.

On a well-floured board, roll each ball of dough into a 9-inch circle. Spread the dough with 2 tablespoons apricot preserves and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the filling. Press the filling lightly into the dough. Cut the circle into 12 equal wedges--cutting the whole circle in quarters, then each quarter into thirds. Starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge. Place the cookies, points tucked under, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Brush each cookie with the egg wash. Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on the cookies. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack and let cool.

4 comments:

Tammy Lorna said...

Well. It certianly LOOKS yummy!
xo Tammy

Ann On and On... said...

I am taking the afternoon to read new blogs. I hope you do not mind me stopping by. Feel free to check out my blog. I am having a give-a-way that will end on Monday. Three winners! :D

A cookie exchange sounds like a lot of fun. How does that work?

I'll take about a dozen of your cookies. :D Thanks for linking the definition it is helpful to have a full understanding.

Margo said...

you were the one that made and brought those? I assumed someome broke down and got them from a bakery around. nice work! incredibly yummy.

Tara said...

I'm glad you posted the recipe! I ate them last night and they really are as yummy as they look!!!