Monday, April 28, 2008

time to fill a bucket

Have you noticed I've been feeling uninspired? Its partly because I can't take photos inside because the sun just doesn't come in our window and I'm still working full-time so can't get out during the day, and partly because I've been preoccupied with other things. I've been feeling like an empty bucket with a leak. So last night when the home teachers who were sweet enough to bring cookies but not wake Reuben up by trying to stay reminded me of the talk that will be my anthem for these mothering years. If you are a mother, will be a mother, or need to support a mother you should really read this.

Here is the part that hit me last night:

". . .find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests. Pick one or two things that you would like to learn or do that will enrich your life, and make time for them. Water cannot be drawn from an empty well, and if you are not setting aside a little time for what replenishes you, you will have less and less to give to others, even to your children. . . . Turn to the Lord in faith, and you will know what to do and how to do it."

Justin asked how my cultivation of gifts and interests were going. I'm liking that I don't have to disappear to knit, but I'm too the point where I don't need another hat but I'm not skilled enough to branch out much further, and knitting isn't really a summer craft. I haven't had time to scrapbook in a couple months, and I wish I did. I always seem to have something I am working on, or a plan to work on something.

But, I think I want to try something new. Any suggestions that are low-budget and will not create more clutter in my too-small apartment, but will enrich my life?

8 comments:

Margaret said...

If you've already got scrapbooking stuff, try making cards. I tried it a few years ago and I have loved it ever since! I get most of my inspiration from a) other people's cards and b) really cool stickers.

Mindy said...

I have the lame Mindy answer: you can try online indexing or genealogy. You can feel the rewards. :)
I like quilting too, but that's not a small apartment, low cost activity all the time.

Lark said...

There is a time and a season for everything. And each mother needs to make her choices prayerfully.

The blessings will be yours as you care for your family and serve in the church.

I believe what I did for myself was care for my family. I didn't have to work a second job most of those years. I learned and progressed with my volunteering at my children's schools. I grew in my many church callings.

It seems to be harder for me than others to have my children far away from me now that they are productive adults. My children are my greatest blessing. There dad is pretty nice too.

I often see mothers raising grandchildren. These mothers often neglected to raise their own children while they focused on them selves.

There is a time and a season for everything. Recognize your times and seasons.

Kirstin said...

I understand your desire. I have tried doing digital scrapbooking for things I'm not too particular with. It is fun to learn how Photoshop works and is very clean.
I like the genealogy suggestion, too. It is amazing the stories I have learned about my ancestors.
Reading is another pastime I really enjoy. You could join different book clubs online, or start one in your ward (if there isn't one already).
I have more suggestions, so if you want them I can email.

Erika Hill said...

I'm feeling the same way about my life in all sorts of ways, and I don't even have a child yet...

When I'm feeling like I need some enrichment, the first thing I do is sit down and think about the kind of person that I want to be, and what I can do to become that person.

For example, I want to be a well-read person. So I try to think of all the books that well-read people should read, and then I get them from the library and start working through them. To read without doing other things is certainly not enough, but getting a library card and trying to work your way through all those books you should have read in college or high school is kind of fun.

I also love trying new recipes and trying to become a better cook. Working in a specific area of food can be fun. However, it sounds like you already cook quite a bit. :)

I've also started trying to do my own arrangements of hymns (choir and piano). I wasn't a music major or anything, I don't really have any skill beyond liking music, but it's kind of fun.

Michael and Natalie said...

THANK YOU for the comment on my blog. I really hope you're right!

Michael and Natalie said...

I'm thinking of taking up a second language. I would really love to be able to learn French and I know the only way I'm going to be able to do it is to make it a priority. We'll see how that works out when I have a baby...

GAYLE said...

I really like that quote. I know it's great to be a mom, but sometimes you need to pursue other interests. By doing and trying new things, your kids can learn that they can also try new things and not have to be perfect at it or scared to try. I especially think it's important that kids see their parents read! When my girls were babies, Mark told me to take up painting again and that he would be Mr. Mom while I went to my class. It has been a great blessing to me. I think you would like quilting. You can do many things with just scraps. You could even make a small quilt out of Reuben's old clothes. I do everything by hand so you don't really need any extra space.