Friday, November 23, 2007

Wheat Croissant Rolls

I know that most of you do not want to see food the day after thanksgiving, but thats what I have to blog about.

Justin has helped me make these, or made them himself. Each time he does there is something that he didn't quiet understand in the recipe, or bread baking know-how that he did not have. One Easter they turned out like "witches sandals," the tips just unrolled in the rising and baking stage. This time, he had rolled out the dough, and instead of triangles cut strips, so half of the rolls looked like cinnamon rolls, and half looked like croissants. The good news is that they were still delicious, even if they looked different.


Sis. Zizka would never approved of using the kitchen aid and a dough hook to make bread dough, but if it means its really easy to do, I am willing to use my kitchen aid. (And plus, I don't have a good wooden spoon.)

Mix together (and let margarine melt):
1 cup scalded milk
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt

Whisk together and then add to above:
3 beaten eggs
1 cup COLD water

Add to above:
1 cup white flour
2 tbl yeast (or one packet which is 2 1/4 tbl)

Then gradually add :
2 cup wheat flour
4-5 cups white flour

(If you are using the dough hook keep it on level 2, when the dough pulls away from the sides of the edges and works it way up the side of the hook and back down you have enough flour. It usually ends up being 4 1/4- 4 1/2 cups of the white flour.)

Do not knead! Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in fridge for at least 2 hours, or over night.

Divide dough in half, one at a time roll each half into a circle. Brush circle with melted butter. Cut with pizza wheel into 16 triangle pieces. Roll flat end to point. Place on a greased cookie sheet (or silicone baking sheet on a cookie sheet). Leave room to rise. Cover with a town and let rise 1 hour. Bake 350 until golden brown 12-15 minutes.

1 comment:

Tammy Lorna said...

Hey Brecky! I'm glad thanksgiving went well for you :) I'm sort of sick of looking at food too, even if we didn't have thanksgiving because of the (da da da dum) wedding! :) Mum was so busy that a lot of the cooking fell to me and Dad... that's right, ME and Dad! *gasp* Luckily, most of my 'mistakes' were still edible, and I even had some resounding successes :) Go me!
Justin, I totally get the breadroll thing - it's not our fault, we're just too creative to be very good at following recipies *sigh*

hahha!
Happy Thanksgiving Cook Family!
xo Tammy